- MILLBREX, a district, in the parishes of Monquhitter and Fyvie, district of Turriff, county of Aberdeen, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from New Deer; containing 939 inhabitants. The hamlet of Millbrex is situated in the Fyvie portion of the district, and south-east of the road between New Deer and Auchterless: its population is chiefly agricultural. It is a mission station of the Committee for managing the Royal Bounty in Scotland; and has a church, built in 1833, and enlarged in 1836, and containing about 500 sittings. The edifice is so placed as to accommodate the inhabitants of the northern part of Fyvie parish and those of the southern part of Monquhitter. The Earl of Aberdeen, who is chief proprietor of Millbrex, contributed handsomely towards the erection of the church, for which he gave the site; and allocated land as glebe for its minister. A manse and offices were built in 1835; and it is proposed to found a school on the parochial footing, in connexion with the Establishment: there is at present a Sunday school.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fyvie — FYVIE, a parish, in the district of Turriff, county of Aberdeen, 7½ miles (S. S. W.) from Cuminestown; containing 3597 inhabitants. This place, of which the ancient name, Fycyn, is of doubtful etymology, is chiefly distinguished for its castle … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland